Re: [mu TECH] A new installer for DOS

From: Nelson Bishop (nelson@io.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 21:49:55 CEST

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Sabino Maggi wrote:

> > In my pentium, I've much free disk space, but is not so easy
> > install NT4 in the desidered partition. I do not trust in
> > MS installer, because there is no trusted way to enstablish the
> > destination partition. I fear the installer may plugh my
> > important data without notifyation :-) MS product expects a whole
> > disk and often starts reformatting. I'm not such able guy to
> > control this feature.
> >
> > Michele
>
> Problems do not usually appear in NT except that -- if I remember well --
> the boot loader or something like that needs to be installed in the first
> partition of the hd. I can check if you wish.
> IF (I am right) .AND. (you have a win95/98 in the first partition) THEN
> it should be safe to install NT on your system
> ENDIF
> (ah, the good ol' & refreshin' FORTRAN)
> And, with the NT bootloader you can boot also win95/98/3.1 (not linux, of
> course).
>
> In any case, you should definitely consider using a tool like
> Norton Ghost or the like to save the image(s) of your hd, either on a free
> partition or, better, on a CD-R. This saves much time and effort.
> I use it since a couple of years and I periodically make images of my NT
> and Linux partitions. In the eventuality of a system crash you reboot in
> dos, launch ghost, load the image from hd/cd-r and... you are back to your
> last backup! I have restored this way my NT at least twice, without
> reinstallation, without any data loss :-()
> You should try.
>
> Hope this helps, cheers
> -- Sabino

I'll second the vote for ghost. I use it at work for testing installs.
With ghost, I can put a clean copy of win 95, 98 or NT on the primary
partition of the test machine, a P90, in about 5 minutes.

At home, I recently made a ghost image in case my printer or scanner
driver gets corrupted (in the past, the only way to revive the printer or
scanner has been a total reinstall of windows). In this case there were
already several apps installed (in particular a couple of disk hogging
games). It took about 20 minutes on a k6/3 400 to create or restore the
ghost image and the image file was nearly 700 Megs. Once I had a backup,
I deleted the games and was able to make a more reasonable 200 meg image
with just the most vital apps.

Cheers,
Nelson