Re: Installation <4 meg ram

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 08:59:56 CEST

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 05:41:13PM -0700, Mike Johnson nicely wrote:

> > Do NOT load USR segment in 4M: just try to clone quickly in UMSDOS.
>
> What are the best steps for doing this, I'm kinda confused on how to do
> that... (a sequence of commands is fine, I can learn from there). In my
> case I have an old 486 PS/NOTE that I would like to convert.. it only has
> 4meg of RAM, but I've got near 50meg of free space

The problem is RAM: in next release I arranged the things, reducing RAM
consumption during installation.

Please, make floppies on some other machine and put the first floppy in
the drive of this 486. If ram<4, the system prompt you a panel.

> ...but I thought I had to have an existing system before I could clone it??

Yes, cloned system requires DOS, because they starts using a DOS
command (loadlin.exe): a dos rescue floppy does the work. Of you
can use the base muLinux floppy: when the string "boot:" appairs, you
can type:

                mulinux root=/dev/hda1

if /dev/hda1 is the disk you cloned upon. Otherwise, you have to deal
with LILO.