Re: mu TECH: an unhurried digression on C pointers vs. arrays

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 01:17:47 CEST

On 29 Apr 2000, at 11:35, Miguel Angel <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk> wrote:

> I also used this kind of basic code optimizer, and what it was really
> worse, i was an expert optimizing code such ways (i even reached the point to
> hand code one character basic tokens and machine code with an hex editor). One
> colud get some more kb of free memory and a 10% more speed this way.

I'd never heard of such optimizers until after learning by hand the sort of
tricks an optimizer does. I didn't do tokens, but by the late '80s was pretty
good at lines like:

760 IF N1 AND N2 OR N3 AND N4 OR N1 AND N4 OR N3 AND N2 THEN
X2=A(F,0):Y2=A(F,1):F=3

...which leaves out parenthesis (they would take time to interpret) in favor of
using the precedence of 'AND' and 'OR' just so. Not very readable, but it did
the job.