[mu TECH] A new installer for DOS

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 17:37:20 CEST

Hi!

I totally rewrote DOSTOOLS.zip. The installer command is now "makefd.bat"
(make floppy disk), not install.bat. It is a pure DOS command: no need
to run it in full DOS mode. It works also in a simple dos windows: it
use rawrite.exe to create
a new kind of mini-linux, a sort of installer/rescue
disk, formatted 1.44 with DOS filesystem. It boot using syslinux,
not loadlin.

After created this disk, the user reboot and all follow
as in the previous arrangement.

The good news is that: this new 1.44 mini-linux system, based
only on ROOT.gz (no USR segment), has cdrom, ntfs and SCSI support.
When boot it load modules from the directory modules/, without
bother the user. The user can put other modules in this directory,
using the COPY dos command.

In theory, It can fetch the images also from SCSI disks and NTFS
disks, but this is not full proved and tested, because lack of
hardware on my desktop. muLinux access NTFS read-only, but it is
designed to create automatically swap, and I've to put a test.

Another good advantage is RAM: I think the new arrangement may
facilitate installation in lowmem machine, because it has not /usr
mounted. In my opinion, it run also in 3M.

I think this "Installer-Disk" can be enhanced next to a full rescue
disk, embedded in muLinux.

The new DOSTOOTS.zip, like the old, fetch the root.gz unpacking
the main archive mulinux.tgz with tar.exe. This means: it do not
suffer from release updating (like the old), and has not
dramatic size increasing (+150k).

It will appairs soon in 8r4 release, with many other enhancements.