Re: [mu TECH] NEW: Runtime sound driver configuration

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 22:21:50 CEST

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 04:35:42PM -0300, Renato nicely wrote:

> Why don't you try to upgrade the kernel to 2.0.38 moving some features from base floppy to EXT?
> You said the PC speaker sound would not work in other kernel diferent from 2.0.36.
> Does Miguel Angel and Alfie Costa agree with you?
> If I know them well, I don't believe they could resist to a haker chalenge like this.

I like efforts with some sense: to change kernel from 2.0.36 to
2.0.38 is tiring (more-or-less) how to adopt a recent series, but with
less, less satisfaction (I read they are the same kernel).

I know: many Linux friend like to change own kernel frequently, and
trash a lot of time in recompiling, etc. How to answer y/n to a set
of question is such amusing thing?

I found much more inspiring things like the Miguel's patches, because
they generated new considerations in my mind and, if possible, should
be more interesting to employ Miguel and Alfie in other wonderful
tricks like that! An example?
To add the "diff" command and to generate all keymaps
using patching technology, starting from some default keymaps.
Keymaps are in the first floppy, where disk-space is critical.

Other example: maybe the disk freed is enough for Perl5 and some CPAN
library? With Perl and network libraries a new horizont open