Re: [mu TECH] NEW: Runtime sound driver configuration (2)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 11:37:30 CEST

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:11:13AM -0400, Alfie Costa nicely wrote:
> What happens is the user eventually gets to a
> setup prompt like:
>
> Enter SB_DMA16 [5]>
>
> ...and if one hits 'Enter' it stays 5, and if they input a blank, it stays 5
> too.

The problem is real, because binpath change some bytes in the body of
object module, permanently. A solution may be to test SB_DMA16 in sound.fun,
and to revert to some default, if is left blank.

I noticed another strange problem about IRQ. The Miguel's scripts
convert irq in octal: for example, irq=9 is converted in irq=10, but
after some test I noticed this is not really required. I removed
the AWK row relative to octal conversion, and it work.

I also developed a "sound-probe" script, which try in turn a set of
IRQs, to help user. Further, removed the sound-7.o module and renamed
sound-5.o simply sound.o, to make things more clean.

In attachement there is a new command for muLinux ("poke", 3k), which
is a binary replacement of Miguel's binpatch. It's syntax is:

                # poke file loc val [ loc val .. loc val ...]

and accept an un-limited series or loc-val pairs.

Example:

        poke /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/sound.o 50921 10
                change IRQ to 10

Uses as:

                # poke file loc

if simply print out the "location" contents.

Does someone remember the POKE function in the Commodore 64?

This command is not strictly required for Miguel patch but, maybe,
in the future, it can have some usage.