thttpd

From: Clive Wright (clive_wright@telinco.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 23:23:48 CEST

I am having problems with the latest beta release.
The first problem was a missing image in the home page which
was caused by a missing symlink to images from
/usr/local/thttpd.
        I also added another symlink to a local copy of the linux
gazette which lives on my ntfs partition mounted on /ntfs.
Until now file permissions have not been a problem with
mulinux as all processes run as root; so why was I getting
403 errors when attempting to view web pages on
/ntfs/inetpub/wwwroot/lg/ ?
        I found from the output of "ps aux |grep httpd" that thttpd
was running as user nobody; hence the forbidden errors. I
have modified the line in httpd.fun which starts thttpd by
adding "-u root". Now I get 500 errors instead of 403
errors. From experimenting with file permissions I find that
thttpd will not serve web pages with "x" permissions so
/ntfs was remounted with options "-o noexec,ro" but still
the problem persists.
        Just to check I had not done something stupid I killed
thttpd and launched pygmy. All my web pages on the nt
partition reappeared.
        Yes I know pygmy uses a different document root but my lg
symlinks in /home/httpd and /usr/local/thttpd both point to
the same folder on /ntfs.
        I cannot think of anything else to try, hence this posting.
Has anyone else had similar problems? If so how were they
resolved. Failing that if anyone else has an ntfs partition
accessible to mulinux can they check whether thttpd can
serve web pages from it?
Thanks in advance,

Clive