Re: SETUP

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 13:49:44 CEST

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 11:18:02AM +0000, Jochen Cichon nicely wrote:
> Michele Andreoli wrote:
>
> > > PS: I am testing Mysql on muLinux. That mean I try to install and use MySQL
> > > with muLinux. (Right now I TRY to install! :) )
> > The bad new is neither mySQL, neither mSQL are really free programs.
> > That's the question.
>
> Really?
> Hm, I thought it's free, because I of the copyright which is provided
> with mysql (Debian Linux). So I don't think that there are some problems
> for private use.

No problems for "private use". For mSql license is:

==============================
Permission to use, copy and modify this software and its documentation,
is hereby granted to non-commercial entities without fee,
provided that this license information and copyright notice appear
in all copies.

A "non-commercial entity" is defined within the scope of this license as
an educational institution (excluding a commercial training organisation),
non-commercial research organisation, registered charity, registered
not-for-profit organisation, or full-time student.

For mySQL:

(a) Distribution of the Program or any work based on the Program by a
commercial organization to any third party is prohibited if any payment is
made in connection with such distribution,

But I don't like data-base: I always think to data-base programming
as remunerative work.