Re: modules

From: dumas patrice (dumas@rip.ens-cachan.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 12:18:00 CEST

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Michele Andreoli wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 02:06:47PM +0200, dumas patrice nicely wrote:
> >

> > Then I have some remarks :
> > It seems that there are errors in the Modules documentation : path are
> > said to be in /etc/modules.conf, but they are in /etc/modules.path.
>
> This is changed a little from various release. Do not trust totally
> in readme.html, but check always HELP in muLinux itself.

This is from the help (in /usr/doc/...)

> The /tmp/modules works as "cache space" for modules, very important
> for RAM muLinux: a modules is unpacked ONE times and left in this
> directory.
>
> /etc/modules.conf (previous name) conflict with a file required my
> "modprobe", then I changed name.
>
> > it says to put the object file in the DIR specified in
> > /etc/modules.path, but I think it's not true, it should be in
> > DIR/preferred. Note that I could be missing something here.
>
> Yes. A documentation error. Actually, Setup search for DIS/preferred
> but preferred is a link to 2.0.36. You must create 2.0.36 directory
> and put your module in it (this is for *unpacked* module). Anycase,
> it is better to put your modules in archive.tbz.

I wanted to do this, and so use unpack then pack, but in the
documentation, it was said that it will crash with the ramdisk
installation. In this case, is there a way to incorporate my module in
archive.tbz and have it installed in my setup on floppy disk ? (I should
read the code, in fact, so if you want to let me answer my question
myself, it's possible...).

> > I also have a little critic, that is I think the message that appears at
> > the end of runLevel 4 is a bit confusing, because level 5 isn't only about
> > configuring but also loading the existing configuration. So the second
> > time I boot, I stopped at this message, thinking my stored configuration
> > had been totally loaded, but there wasn't the things configured in custom,
> > and I didn't understood why.

> The message

> ** Press -ENTER- in next 5 seconds to stop autoconfiguration **
>
> is emitted at the top of runlevel-5. If you stop, system do not load
> configuration. Following behaviour depend from kind of muLinux you
> run:
>
> ram-muLinux) because no profile is loaded, the system run with FACTORY
> defaults, i.e. what I cabled in /setup/cnf for my convenience.
>
> hard-muLinux) illogical behaviour; the system use the last saved /setup/cnf,
> because this file are permanent.
>
> I provided the stop, in the case the of blocking profile (name='lock') and
> in the case this profile is corrupted or hang the system. Using the
> stop you can fix the problem.
>

> On the other hand, the exact point where to put the stop is matter
> of discussion, and I haven't solution. If I put it *after* profile loading,
> but *first* of activate it, what means really?

Well I think you didn't understood my concern (I am not an english
natural tongue speaker too, as I am french, and I am not always clear !),
I understand perfectly why you ask for a confirmation before going through
the runlevel 5, but the critic was about the message itself. I will
provide an example of what (in my strict opinion) should be better :

Press enter in 5 seconds to stop here the configuration and the loading
of your allready configured custom setup.

It is true that the other message is smaller and has the same meaning
because autoconfiguration means the two things, and so it's just a
proposal, as I was confused last time.

An other thing is that I think running the syst test before the end of the
configuration is a little risked, as there is a chance that it crashes,
before the setup is saved, and before you can switch to another console or
^C it. It happend to me with the test of the printer, it is an ash bug I
think as it is the result of something like "..." >/dev/lp0 .
To fix this problem, I think there are two possibilities, one being to put
an add to the message when it asks whether you want to test the
hardware, like :

"message" (risky, you can lose all the work you did before)

The other to launch it in a separate script, during the tour made at the
end of the install.

Oh, I forget, where can I get the source of, for example muless, or other
nice little programs of mulinux ?

Pat

dumas@rip.ens-cachan.fr