Re: [mu TECH] what's ASP?

From: Tom Poindexter (tpoindex@nyx.net)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 16:50:22 CET

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 10:00:26AM -0300, Claudio Neves wrote:
> At 17:32 20/03/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 08:39:12AM -0700, Tom Poindexter nicely wrote:
> > > The Neowebscript-SA server in the Tcl Add-on can do 'asp-like' processing.

> >My problem is not to understand what ASP is from phenomenological point
> >of view -- it is scripting in HTML, as many told on the list -- but how
> >it compare with other embedded scripting: javascript, PHP3, etc.
> >In other words: I wish to know is the ASP programmer access more features,
> >as far OS command are concerned, compared to other scripting.

Adding to Claudio's reply, ASP is also supposed to be language independent,
but VBScript seems to be the most popular. MS lists JScript (their
version of JavaScript) as an alternative language. I also agree with
Claudio that ASP sole advantage is that it does interoperate with other
things MS (ActiveX components, Access, etc.)

Now to further cloud the issue, the letters 'ASP' have also come to known
as 'Application Service Provider'. This is just the internet version of
what were called 'service bureaus' in mainframe days. An example might be
your company needs an order processing system. Instead of building your
own, or buying an off-the-shelf package to run on your hardware, you
instead contract for services with an ASP. The difference is in the 60's &
70's you used a dedicated terminal to the service bureau's computers; with
an ASP, you use a web browser to access the service. ('there is *nothing* new
in computer science since 1956' - James Blinn)

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex@nyx.net