Re: [mu SETUP] ppp

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 20:10:31 CET

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 12:49:23PM -0500, Boryeu Mao nicely wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I've been trying to get ppp going on muLinux (7r12) w/o
> success so far. Following PPP-HOWTO, I wanted to see
> if I can manually establish the link, but have the following
> problems:
>
> 1. In minicom, I was able to dial out to my ISP, but the
> messages from the server (normally should be `Hostname' or
> 'UIC') appear as strings coded in Italian (at least looking
> that way to me). After re-installing muLinux and setting
> us keymap and codepages, the prompt still looked Italiano.
> What am I doing wrong?

<joke>
A sort of reminiscence from compile time
I can't understand exactly what's the message in italian;
eventually, send me and I'll translate
</joke>

Have you called with:

                atx3
                atdt<phone number>
?

> 2. In minicom, I can't seem to leave the program without
> resetting the modem (a step necessary for manually start
> pppd). According to PPP-HOWTO, Alt Q or Cntl A Q should
> do that, but not for me (??)

To stop this minicom you need escape sequence: look at the
message when minicom (really miterm) start.

> 3. Not being able to do 2. above, I thought I could start
> pppd from another console. Alas, pppd seems to be getting
> into a jam -- some error messages appeared and it seg-faulted,
> most of the time. While trying all sorts of things late
> last night, those error messages did not appear for a couple
> of times but I don't have any idea of what I might have done
> that made them disappear. This morning though, those messages
> returned.
>
> I appreciate any help/hints/pointers. Thanks very much in
> advance.

I wish to know if you really connected via phone to ISP; the pppd
problem is a second-order problem. Only after you got the ISP
prompt with miterm, you can go next step.