Re: [OT] 4 surprises

From: Georg Philipp Burth (georg-philipp.burth@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 06:28:20 CET

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Gerhard Thimm wrote:

> > >This sentence is easy to explains: Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas;
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I remember, this is a so called palindrom.
> Letters, words or sentence that reverse are valid, like: "anna" or "eva
> ave".
> The longest palindrom I know in german is: "EIN NEGER MIT GAZELLE ZAGT
> IM REGEN NIE". Of course, impossible to translate to be a palindrom. But
> perhaps there are some in english?
>
> Does anyone knows the name of a "square-palindrom", like this above?
>
> At this point I would like to know the meaning of this latin sentence.
> (What ever said in latin sounds profound! I'm anxious.)

There are many possible meanings of this palindrome. One meaning is "Arepo
the sower holds the wheels with care.", another is that you can form a
cross out of the characters with "paternoster" as horizontal AND vertical
lines, leaving 2 A's and 2 O's wich can mean Alpha and Omega - the
beginning and the end. Moreover, the letters of the square can be
 rearranged to spell Oro Te, Pater; oro Te, Pater; sanas: "I pray to thee,
Father. Thou healest."

This information was get by looking at www.britannica.com, here
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/1/0,5716,59561+1,00.html
There is much more on this site, so have a look at yourself...

Philipp