Re: [mu SETUP] XF86Config

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 13:36:02 CET

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 09:27:13AM -0000, John Crisp nicely wrote:
> Please tell me how I can edit this file and leave it edited.
>
> I believe that xf86config re writes XF86Config everytime you start X. How
> then can I edit the file ? (Don't panic, I am not a novice at hacking
> XF86Config !)

The original is /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.in. It is changed and
copied in /etc/X11/XF86Config.

> I would like to be able to set my own timings etc, but can't at present.
> Runnung at 640x480 is driving me nuts !

With this jurassik X server is not possible to gain better resolution
without to sacrifice human victims.

> A little explanation of the startup mechanism would be appreciated.

startup mechanism proceed via /etc/rc.* script, as in standard
Slackware distributions, but I chosen to use /bin/setup (Setup) in
this scripts, in the hope to mantains parallelism between boot-setup
and manual-setup.

The basic guideline is:

# load the last profile from floppy
                setup -R
# basic setup (runlevel 4)
                setup usr
                setup keymap
                setup tmp

# full setup (runlevel 5)

                setup -a custom

# shutdwon (runleve 6)

                setup -a shutdown stop

In the files /setup/custom and /setup/shutdown you find the list
of services, stopped in this order.

In other words, "setup -a shutdown stop" close all services (soft
shutdown).