Re: Boot problem

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 18:16:31 CET

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 03:07:55PM +0100, PAULUZZI LUCA nicely wrote:

> Ciao !

Ciao Luca, welcome.

> I have discovered mulinux a couple of months ago and it's wonderful, in
> particular because I'm new to linux and I want to experiment without panic...
> I have installed v7r8 in a ext2 partition and it works well (except for
> some configuration problems... in my head !), but my question is about
> a 486 with 3.7 Mb ram (!):
> If I try to load from floppy it stops and says:
>
> kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 02:3c.
>
> Zipping an UMSDOS installation and copying it on HD it's the same:
>
> kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01.

Ok, zipping is not the whole matter. In the hard-disk installation,
directory /dev, there is a file:

                /dev/root

The cloner create it as symlink to real disk device.
Obviously, if you zip the directory structure, and move it in the
destination machine, the disk-device do not match!

Solution 1
----------
first of zipping's art, corrupt provvisory your ext2 installation
removing this file (from muLinux itself) and create the new link:

                # cd /dev
                # rm root
                # ln -s hda2 root

In this example, I suppose /dev/hda2 to be the NEW device,
pertinent to destination machine.
When finish, reboot your windows and make the ZIP.
Ok, now this ext2 do not work anymore. Please, use a floppy-mulinux
to fix it.

Solution 2
Edit with notepad the file c:\linux\etc\fstab, without destroy it.
Check the row with /dev/root and change it as explained you.

> Thanks!
> ... hoping my "englian" (or "italish") is comprehensible...

Fractured English Ended Here. Core dumped.

Caro Luca, una volta la lista era tutta italiana, ma era anche
un po' una barba, diciamolo. Ora, come vedi, abbiamo una lista
mittel-europea und trans-oceanica che e' un vero spasso.