Re: [mu OT] Timezone

From: Gerhard Thimm (gthimm@zbw.ch)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 22:34:57 CET

I'm not an expert, but I would say you are right and the time offset is
also right. As Albert would say, everything is relativ.

Show this URL:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/map/timezone.shtml
it shows a map which exactly displays your explanation.

And show this:
http://einstein.grc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/tzconvert.pl
it show a timezone calculater which works the oposite.

The problem is, where you stay. The Sun rises in JP or NZ. Ok, then the
sun travells via moscow, zurich to london. when it is noon in london, it
is afternoon in moscow.

Ok, enlish people would say, you must add 3 or 4 hours to GMT to get the
time in moscow.

A russian would subtract the same value to get the london time.

I think computer and programmers are very english! (show the
documentations :-)) The "zeropoint" of time is in london. So, if a linux
box works with GMT timezone, I have to switch my biostime backward!!! or
earlier.

BTW, GMT is out of date. In 1948 the atomics clock users established a
club named Bureau International de l'Heure (BIH). The Average of all
clocks was called International Atomic Time (TAI). But then someone
detects that the earth turns not so excactly around the sun as the
clocks ticks (this must be a swiss :-) or german :-))) Anyway, instead
stretching the seconds, they invented the switch-seconds and called this
new switch-second-overlayed-TAI the Universal Coordinated Time (UTC),
which is the new replacement for GMT.

GMT is astronomic, UMT is atomic. So, that should be enough.
Have a wine time, Gerhard
       ^
       ! this is indented :-)

Michele Andreoli schrieb:

> There is on the list an expert in timezone?
>
> For example, in a email I found:
>
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:10:48 +0100
> ^^^^^^
> What means?
>
> Please, correct me if I'm wrong: Italy is timezone=GMT-1 i.e.
>
> localtime + timezone = Greenwich
>
> In this case, solving in localtime we found:
>
> locatime= UTC + 1
>
> If in Italy time is 12:10, in London is 11:10. I'm wrong?
>
> Therefore, the value "+0100" has to be interpreted as displaicement
> from localtime and Greenwich time?
>
> If yes, this notation confuse a little, because I read literally:
>
> 12:10:40 + 1
>
> and my mind automatically generate 13:10:40, a wrong value as UTC time.
>
> Please, comment.
>
> Michele
>
> --
> I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't
> remember any. Would two negative ones do? -- Woody Allen

Gerhard Thimm        <mailto:gthimm@zbw.ch>
Informatiker, Kursleiter Informatikfachmann
ZbW - Zentrum fuer berufliche Weiterbildung
Gaiserwaldstrasse 6
CH-9015 St. Gallen
Telefon: (41) (0)71 / 313 40 40
Direkt:  (41) (0)71 / 313 40 53