Re: [mu SETUP] LAN Configuration

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 15:47:30 CET

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 03:33:07PM -2800, Mardon Erbland nicely wrote:

> > Ga-gasp! You loss the critical file /etc/inittab !!!
> > Run muLinux from floppy, mount the DOS partition and
> > copy the file from your ramdisk.
>
> Thanks Michele for letting me know that the problem was serious. I have my
> system working fine now.

This the worst thing can happen in a UNIX system: a /etc/inittab corrupted.

>I did it diferrently, however. I have never used a
> floppy on my system though so I couldn't eaisly boot from a floppy. I
> downloaded mulinux and all EXTs onto my D: drive and just did a direct
> UMSDOS install from there. I boot from D:\LINUX. This means that I have no
> way to boot from a floppy and I could not get at the /etc/inittab file to copy it.

I'm very happy for you, because I'm changing now just this kind of scripts,
with a lot of exotics news bugs added :-)

Another way is to boot linux using the init= kernel switch. Add init=/etc/rc.1
in the loadlin row and you can enter in the system, skipping init(8) daemon.
After that, mount the floppy and ... sorry, you do not have a floppy drive,
isn't true? ;-)

> BTW, any idea how I might have
> trashed /etc/inittab in the first place? I'm pretty certain that I didn't delete it
> directly.

Sure, a bug is hidden in some place.

> > If you use muLinux as a normali Linux, you will impact with Setup,
> > in future. Setup control some /etc file, and override yours at any
> > boot! Only "setup -s" can save you, if you change something.
>
> OK. I hadn't quite understood this.

I've to take the blame upon myself: documentation about "/bin/setup"
is not much up-to-date in recent releases.

> This gives me another question about my LAN though. I used setup -f
> network to configure my network but there is no where in that dialogue that I
> can specify the network ip for my host machine (192.198.1.10) nor can I
> identify other machine ip addresses on my network.

This is IPADDR. Setup ask you that:

                "Enter IP address of this card"

> I can get the network
> working great by giving two commands at the command prompt:
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.198.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> route add -net 192.198.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

A total failure of my scripts || dialog || fractured-english!
Please, if something is not clear in those dialogs, report me
a correct traslation in english.

> These comands get the network running OK but each time I reboot I have to
> enter them again. I'd like this information saved with the profile. Also, I was
> reluctant to edit the /etc/host file with vi given what Michele said about only
> using setup.

Please, edit this file only for additional hostname resolution, then

                # setup -s

If you wish to add feature and command in muLinux, escaping Setup
control, you can use "setup local". This allow you to put in /etc/rc.local
any other customization, without to interfere with boot scripts.

If you wish, edit /etc/rc.local off-setup, then:

                # setup -s

Using /etc/rc.local, you can change totally the behaviour of the system,
because this is the LAST setup. For example: if you put in this file

                playcd
                init 0

you have a CD-player, and no console login.

Obviously, also dirty hacks like:

                cat <<END > /etc/hosts
                END

will works, but I'm prepared to assume that like a fractured
failure of my scattered documentation :-)

Michele

PS:
                # setup network store

do the same work, but do not forget a final "setup -s" first of
reboot.