Re: [mu SETUP] How to create a fast boot disk (was: lilo.conf)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 12:10:47 CET

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 08:15:15AM +0000, Karl-Heinz Zimmer nicely wrote:

> Unfortunately there is *no* lilo in muLinux at all. :-(

This is not completely true. If EXT is mounted, "lilo" is in
/usr/local/bin. But to install LILO is a little complicated, because
it need of things which in muLinux are scattered on various
locations. This is generated by the 1.44 size of the floppy diskette,
not by scattered/fractured nature of my mind :-)

Try using this procedure:
Create this file:

--- /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/X
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
backup=/dev/null

read-write
vga=normal
prompt
delay=40
timeout=50

image=/boot/mulinuz
label=mulinuz
append="root=/dev/Y"
-- end -----------

X is the media you want put the boot loader (a bootable disk in
you system), Y is the media you mount
root (your ext2 cloned material). X=Y is not a problem.

You can't choice X=fd0, because when we run LILO, floppy disk is
already mounted: we have the kernel on the floppy! You now
understand why the /bin/clone do not work in this case ...

Now, issue this command:

# setup -probe {this mount /startup floppy}
# lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf -r /startup
# umount /startup

The switch -r tell to "lilo" to do a chroot to startup floppy,
as preliminar stage.

In despite of errors, your previous cloning in EXT2 is successful:
only the boot-loader installation is failed. Do not repeat it,
or your RAM system fall in a unstable state and you can't
install LILO at all (the errors related to "disk full" was
generated by filling your ramdisks, not hardisks!)

To deal with LILO is dangerous, anyway: the KHZ solution is
more raccomandable.

Michele,
(fractured english inside)