RE: upgrade path from 6r4 to 7r5?

From: R. Venkateswaran (venki@lucent.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 21:24:15 CET

Michele/KHZ,

I just want to know if I can do this without potential
harm.

0) Rename existing Linux to Linux6.
1) I copy the mulinux-7r5.tgz, EXT.tgz, X11.tgz etc. to my
HD (in DOS).
2) Create *only* the 7r5 BOOT+ROOT+USR floppy. (Can this be
done from inside mulinux or do I need to use DOSTOOLS? )
3) Boot mulinux with this newly created floppy and clone
it.
4) Mount the DOS section containing the addon *.tgz files.
5) bzip2 | tar -xf- each of the *.tgz files, without
creating the floppies.
6) Copy modified *.cnf files from Linux6.

Just a curiosity: Do I need to create floppies other than
BOOT+ROOT+USR if I am going to clone the new 7r5 vresion
anyway?

Thanks,
venki

--
R.Venkateswaran (Venki) [email -> mailto:venki@lucent.com]
   Lucent Technologies Bell Labs, Phone: (630)-979-6253