RE: Modem not responding in Mulinux v6r4.

From: R. Venkateswaran (venki@lucent.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 16:47:38 CET

> My modem is attached to /dev/ttyS1 (USR 33.6, external). When I
> say
> # setserial -a /dev/ttyS1
>
> it give me:
>
> Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
> Flags: spd_normal skip_test session_lockout

Thanks all for your responses.
I finally got the modem working. After looking around a bit, I found
that "minicom" was just a shell script calling "miterm -l
$MODEM_DEVICE"

Now, if I use the -s option of miterm to set speed to 19200,
everything works fine. Looks like the 14.4 modem cannot respond to
higher speed. I will try to see what other speeds it accepts.

I was able to get ppp working without any problem now. For the first
time, I could use lynx to browse the web. It is great !!
Now, to start using Mail and other nice features.

Thanks once again for all the suggestions. To respond to Mr.
Clive_Wright, your suggestion about modem speed made me look a little
deeper into how these things work. My PC does have UART 16550.
It has been a good learning experience. I guess that is what the
philosophy of mulinux is all about.

Thanks,
Venki

--
R. Venkateswaran (Venki)  [email -> mailto:venki@lucent.com]
    Lucent Technologies Bell Labs, Phone: (630)-979-6253