Re: Re: mu TECH

From: Dave Houghton (davehoughton@mulinux.free-online.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 02:16:25 CET

On 7 Dec 1999, Arno Wilhelm <a.wilhelm@utanet.at> wrote:

>>I started a latex/LyX distribution for muLinux about 6 months ago. The
>>problem I had (apart from lack of interest from the mailing list!!) was
>>the fact that it is such a huge program. I had to make the decision as
>>to what styles templates, what printer types to support etc in order to
>>cut the size down. I know you can configure these yourself but the
>>configuration routines in tex/latex need a bash shell to run and will not
>>run on ash. So we will have to accept a pre-configured setup. Using a
>>small handfull of style templates, a default postscript printer and a
>>couple of stripped down binary and library files, I managed to get the
>>size down to 12Mb (bzipped size) still way too large.
>

>Why dont you use the new Cdrom burning feature of mulinux?
>I have got an Epson Stylus Photo.
I could do, but then I could just as well post the full tex distribution on my website which is fine if you have a cloned system with loads of spare hd space but this is getting away from the spirit of muLinux's minimalistic approach.
In the same way we could have an X11 distribution with svga server (which is very easy to do anyway under muLinux), loads more fonts and kde/gnome/enlightenment desktops, but taking this approach you might as well go the full way and install a full Linux distro.
What I'm trying to do is cram as much as possible onto a single floppy as we have withh X11,GCC andTcl, but obviously some drastic cutting has to be done.
As I said, I have another approach in mind, watch this space.
I still need feedback as to what document styles we need/want and what printers(and printer capabilities) we have so that I can sort out the output format(ascii, postscript, pdf etc).

Dave
muLinux U.K. mirror