Re: AW: [mu TECH] focus on masqerading router

From: Michele Andreoli (quisque@tin.it)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 22:05:41 CET

On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 12:26:05PM +0100, Richard de Waard nicely wrote:

> To sum up the answers: mulinux is for educational purposes and has to be
> kept 'transparent'. This is fine. Other Linux distributions give you a
> full featured Linux OS-PC that can be used as masquerading router. True.
>
> I was just very happy that I found a good, useful purpose for an 'old'
> i486 with 16MB, a small harddisk and no CDROM. I think I just liked
> 'Chapter 9. IP filtering with mulinux' (from the README) best :-)
>
> Anyway, thanks for your reactions!
>
> PS: In fact, I DO use RedHat but BEHIND the mulinux router.

Anycase, Richard, starting from 7.x release, the server side in muLinux
was been enforced: we have now a true telnetd, a true rlogind and
a wu-ftpd with chroot security feature. Release 7.x comes with multi-user
support, without breaking the pedagogical nature of the first floppy.
The new binary take place only if EXT is mounted.

You have that with two floppy, BASE+EXT.

On the other hand, diald is hacking script, but ipfwadm is all we need
for masquerading, because Linux kernel do the rest.

I wish to focuse on this point: the problem isn't what new binary put
in muLinux (if compilation works!), but how stop the growing process
with no metabolism.

I'm, strictly speaking, only interested to hack, trick and tips and
I'd like to resume this work in a sentence as "how to do in two script's
statement".

If I might follow my feeling, I would like a suite of script for
automatic downloading from Internet, for modem callback, etc, etc.,
this is the kind of works I like.

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
 Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen