Re: [itsbruce@netscape.net: Small Linux (was Re: Linux on 286)]

From: Michele Andreoli (quisque@tin.it)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 22:28:32 CET

On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 12:44:35PM +0100, Kochenburger Andreas nicely wrote:
> With all due respect, Bruce said a lot of good things about mulinux.
> And I would prefer a better English, too. With Latin and Esperanto having
> disappeared, English is the "lingua franca" nowadays, whether we like
> American culture or not.
>
> Michele, please don't go into a defense position but take it as a feedback
> from an else satisfied user, asking for improvement.

No problem, on that. I like very much what Bruce said about the
system. I posted here his email only for a sort of pride and because
the word "fractured" sound very amazing.

On the other hand, I can't understand why anyone, mother tongue,
never offers itself for a right translation of muLinux messages, in the
way they may seems less rustic and more professional.
A sort of extreme discretion and/or prudence v. the author?
If yes, please no problem! I know my english is disgousting. This is
obvious. I never read an english grammar. I learned reading the
Linux Documentation Project and I'm not able to imagine as this
language will be pronunced in the real world.

At 1, November 1999 I visited a friend of mine in London. Well,
on the aircraft, I was not able to call the girl for collect my
little coffee glass, because I don't know the right equivalent
of garbage and "please, Collect garbage", in italian, sound
very unseemly, sure! Oh, surprise, when i heard the nice girl
pronouncing "gargabe! garbage!". Sorry, but in italian
"spazzatura!spazzatura!" is very unsuitable :-))

> Perhaps someone, who is "native English speaker" (I am not), could volunteer
> to assist in making messages and other text precise and clear?
>
> I know from our international business how important it is to provide a good
> user interface _WITH_ attractiveness, sometimes psychological. And we
> want mulinux not just to _BE_ but to _INTERACT_ in a professional not
> hobbyistic
> way, don't we?

Oh, sorry: my previous sentence is nullified by your last, showing
a coral feeling between us.

If someone may go in tree/setup/fun and and in /etc/rc.*
for rectify my messages,
please do that and send me the resulting tgz!

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
 Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen