[mu INSTALL/TECH/X11]

From: Chris Gottbrath (chrisg@agave.as.arizona.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 23:11:33 CEST

Dear muLinux mailing list,

Just for the heck of it and to learn more about the internals of linux
I am trying to get my ancient laptop (an old Midwest Micro Elite 486/33MHz
20M RAM 200M /dev/hda) up and running at least some subset of
linux.

I am really frankly quite amazed at the ease with which I was able to
use muLinux to get an X session running on the machine. I was
expecting it to be an ordeal of herculean proportions, but all I
had to do was download two disks and type mu -i. :^)

So now that I have marveled over the wonders of a 640x480 monochrome
x session that can barely keep up with my typing rate I am ready to
embark on the next stage.. Trying to get the system to boot
without the floppies.

I am not sure if I want to do this with mulinux or with something like
slackware. If anyone has any experience using a ramdisk implementation
of mulinux to put a full implementation onto a hard disk I would appreciate
hearing how it was done.

But that really isn't my main question, since i think that using slackware is
the better way to get the main core of linux onto a system. However I am
facinated by the X distribution that you have. Is the X system completely
home rolled or can I find more information out about making a compact
X distribution from some other source? If it is an original thing, how
did you do it? Standard X installations are behemoth, but other than
leaving out all of the alternate X servers how can you cut down on space.
I am thinking in terms of things like fonts and such. What is the
minimal set of X fonts that are needed?

Anyway, thanks for all your help and Kudos to M. Andreoli for putting
this all together! I'm quite impressed.

Cheers,
Chris

Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here?
..... Where are you going?
http://agave.as.arizona.edu/~chrisg/ cgottbrath@as.arizona.edu