Re: Monitor problem

From: Johannes Niess (j.niess@uni-bonn.de)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 03:02:24 CEST

At 02:40 AM 5/13/99 +0200, vrxpv@tin.it wrote:

>nglish:
>

> I ask excuse in order to have written in Italian without
>specificy in the subject but I'm careless .I'm trying to use a monitor DELL
>that belonged to 386 with mulinux but when I give the command startx does
>not appear nothing on it but when I reboot with the combination of keys one
>screen for a second appears approximately that typical one when x come to
>boot.It's strange 'cause it works fine with windows . I don't know why and
>give me an excuse, the card is one Cirruslogic ISA from 1MB on a AMD486DX
>100.
> Cello say:thanks 'n bye

Have a look at the file /var/log/startx.log and you will find a line like:
"No valid modes available"
It looks like you need to edit XF86Config. The path is something like
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11. But the file is set up for standard VGA and your video
card should support it (640x480 pixel, 16 colors).

Johannes Niess