Re: Install-Problems

From: Neo Sze Wee (s7108501@mbox4.singnet.com.sg)
Date: Sun Apr 25 1999 - 09:54:44 CEST

At 08:29 AM 4/24/99 GMT, you wrote:
>Am 24.04.1999, 09:08:44, schrieb Neo Sze Wee:
>

>> If I install Mulinux and my computer hangs as a result, would it not
>be
>> dangerous to install? Is there any where I can recover from the mess
>or is
>> these installation problems system specific or a result of not
>following
>> instructions?
>
>> Any one out there has also used other small versions of Linux comments
>on
>> them? How does Mulinux compare?
>
>> It is faster to access from the hard disk so it is better to install
>Mulinux
>> on the hard disk? If so, could someone show me the steps?
>

>Hi,
>
>in order to let us find out how to help you, please answer the
>following questions:
>
>- Are there any unusual messages appearing on the screen
> just before your computer hangs ?

I have not installed yet but I want to be sure what I can do to rescue if
something funny happens.

>- What is the configuration of your machine ?
> ( Processor, RAM, size of Harddisk(s) ... )

486DX2, 4 RAM, 250Mb HD (now about 100Mb free), Dos 6.22 and Win 3.11.

>- What it the reason why you want to install muLinux ?
> ( instead of taking a large distribution like Redhat... )

First of all, I think the program is really big. Some one has suggested
installing Monkey Linux or Dragon Linux, but I heard it would still require
about 50 Mb of HD? And Redhat or Slackware distribution would be twice of
that? I would not have a CD-Rom so I have to download the software. With a
14400 bps connection, that would take too long. Moreover, there would not be
much allowance after such a installation. Yet I would like to experience the
power of Linux and the many good comments has pompted me to do so. That is
why when I found out Mulinux, which is small and seems to be repesentitive
of a normal Linux distribution, I am willing to give it a try.

I am now aware of other small versions of Linux, and with the constraint
that I have (only 4 RAM), they might not better suit me. If my endeavor is
too much of a hazard or not worth the effort ( Dos and Win are working fine
and I am not into programming desperately ), I will forget it for the moment.