Re: Install-Problems

From: Michele Andreoli (andreoli@pisoft.it)
Date: Thu Apr 22 1999 - 23:26:45 CEST

> On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 11:15:20AM +0200, Jens Puruckherr wrote:
>

> > I thought muLinux is the optimal OS for this small system...an so I have a
> > good diagnostic-laptop for the windows-network at work....is it only a
> > dream????

 1) muLinux is based on scripts. Scripts, unless binaries, fork(); this mean
 an interpreted language, wich call other commands, etc. This take
 memory.

 2) kernel is optimized for 386

 3) boot sequence is more complex of normal one; muLinux claim to support
 4-5 method of installation. A single floppy is the OS and the installer
 at the same time. A laboratory, not a OS.

 4) all muLinux filesystem is HIGHLY compressed: USR segment is compressed
 with bzip2. This compressor take a lot of RAM itself ... (mega & mega)

 5) muLinux use initial-ramdisk. What? This is a feature of Linux kernel.
 The kernel load ROOT segment in RAM, before of mount any real/final
 filesystem. This create additional problem on lowmemory machine.
 Why this choice? initial-ramdisk load modules required for mount REAL
 root.

 Ciao
 Michele (Mike, Michael, Mikahil - a male name in Italy)

--
Mi sarebbe piaciuto concludere con un'affermazione positiva, ma
non me ne vengono in mente. Vanno bene due negative?