Netscape or StarOffice on muLinux [was: xiaomai@bigfoot.com: Help?]

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@stardivision.de)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 09:05:33 CET

Am 22.02.1999, 20:48:58, schrieb Michele Andreoli:

> Someon can fit 20 Mega on a 1.44 MB floppy? :))

> ----- Forwarded message from Mai Hui Min <xiaomai@bigfoot.com> -----

> Hi!

> I am using your MuLinux and would like to ask a few
> questions.

> Can I run other apps Netscape or Staroffice on Mulinux?

> Thanks for your attention and your reply is much appreciated.

Hi Michele,

i would like to take Mai's question more serious: i think he just
wants to know if Netscape or StarOffice will *run* on muLinux, not if
they will fit on the floppy.

I see two possible reasons for his question:

1) Maybe he wants to install it on an old PC.

2) Maybe he thinks that muLinux is a good base-distribution
   and wants to expand it by adding other stuff onto his harddisk.

ad 1: Neither Netscape nor StarOffice will run at an acceptable
      speed on an old 386.
      A 486 might be ok IF at least 32 MB RAM are installed.

ad 2: It is possible to take muLinux, install it on harddisk
      and subsequently add more and more tools and programs
      until Your fine self-customized Linux is complete.
      However you should remember that also the compiler,
      linker and some libraries are missing in muLinux:
      the GCC on that add-on floppy is for educational purposes
      only and will *not* compile packages downloaded from WWW.

Nevertheless at my humble opinion it *is* possible to take muLinux
as the basis for making a Linux PC - just be carefull and know what
You are doing... ;-)

Greetings from good old Hamburg,

          Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer    *    Hamburg    *    Germany
(posting privately)