RE: Problem with X11.tbz

From: dmgrant@c034.aone.net.au
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 09:35:07 CET

See this correspondece -it might help.

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998
dmgrant@c034.aone.net.au wrote:

> Michele,
>
> Thanks your prompt response but I don't think that the download is the problem
> because
> 1 I have unpacked and rebuilt X11.tbz and it is clearly a bzip2 file
> 2 I have also downloaded X11.tgz and don't understand why you have given a
tgz
> suffix to a bzip2 file but in any case it still gives identical error messages

I changed tbz->tgz because the tgz suffix is recognize by netscape as
compressed binary. This is OK for many user.

Ok, try this:

1) start muLinux
 (you start from DOS? muLinux has build floppy 1 and floppy 2?,
mah!)

2) answer NO at "configure X11"
3) at muLinux prompt, go to your DOS partition. Ex:

        # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
        # cd /mnt
(change hda1)
4) enter in directory where muLinux is:

        # cd mulinux ( change if necess.)
        # ls

You can see X11.tgz?

5) test this images:

        # cat X11.tgz | bzip2 -t

(you see error here? then, change ftp-downloader -> wu-ftp)

6) unpack manually this image:

        # cat X11.tgz | bzip2 -ds | tar -C/ -xvf -

(you see error here?)
        # setup -f port
        # xf86config
        # startx

muLinux generally work; see this message from Santiago:

 Now I've finished including binaries to mulinux, it's
time to use it at the uni! :) Today the first test was
a success, I gone to my girlfriend's house and connected
to Internet via ppp, used ftp, lynx, telnet, edited files
with joe, played cds, worked with X Window, made a 16kb
swap file, etc etc etc... Tomorrow I'll try to test the
internet conection via lan. If it works, your mulinux will
be a revolution for me when working at the uni :)

 See yoU!

 Santiago Romero  AKA NoP/Compiler / sromero@arrakis.es
 Electronics Engineering and Telecommunications Student
            http://members.xoom.com/sromero
Your problem is the ftp downloader, I believe.
Ciao!

E-Mail: dmgrant@c034.aone.net.au
Date: 16-Dec-98
Time: 19:31:40